Behind the Bestiary: Argent Family Crest Explained
On the Teen Wolf Bestiary’s cover, I created an elaborate coat of arms with shield, motto, supporter, and accessories for the Argent family.
Wonder what it all means? Here’s five explanations:
- The motto is the Werewolf Hunter’s code, “We hunt those who hunt us”, in the Argent family’s native French. (C’mon you knew that….)
- On the tilting-shield is the Argent’s first Werewolf kill, La Bête du Gévaudan. Shot full of arrows, this Werewolf is transforming back to it’s human form as it dies — hence, the back arm having returned to its human form (notice you don’t see that in the early sketch above).
- To the sides of the shield are the family’s favorite Werewolf hunting tools of the trade: crossbow and arrows on the left, wolfsbane on the right.
- Behind the shield representing all Argent women is Athena, goddess of wisdom and war strategy. Why? As Chris Argent explained to Allison, it is Argent women who make the decisions regarding the family’s Werewolf hunting pursuits.
- Finally, this is more trivia than explanation, but I originally designed this elaborate crest to be used inside the Bestiary, but it’s placement was upgraded for use on the cover.
Pictured above: Top, the Argent Family Crest on the Bestiary’s cover; Bottom-Left, an early sketch of the crest; Bottom-Right, final artwork of the crest.